When I was offered the job to become the Head Men's and Women's Cross Country Coach/Women's Track and Field Coach at Wayne State University back in July; there was a lot for me to consider. My family, my career, my goals and aspirations in the sport, and so many other details: the team I was leaving, the team that I was inheriting. How was I going to adjust to the scholarship system? Can I sell my love and passion for the city of Detroit to possible recruits of Wayne State?
During my interview the athletic director, Rob Fournier, described his vision for Wayne State Athletics: Great Academics, Great Athletics, and a major involvement in the community. Every athletic department has to say the first two and as an educator and coach they are automatic priorities. The talk about community service is the point that really perked my ears and got me into thinking about the possibilities of being an actual part of the rebuild of Detroit.
In our profession it is easy to get lost as an individual and get engulfed in the institution that employs us. That was especially true for me at Army West Point. The brand is so big at Army West Point that I didn't feel as though I could make an impact in my community how I truly wanted to. After accepting the job at Wayne State University, I took a look at what the team has done in the past. While many of the commitments were good and things that we will continue to do, none of them stuck out to me as "community" service.
Wayne State University is a unique higher educational institution. We are located in midtown Detroit in the heart of the rebuild and centrally located around some of the coolest places the city has to offer (DIA, African American Muesum, Science Center, Public Library, M1 line, etc). When our distance runners run, they not only see all the great things that Detroit has to offer but they get the opportunity to look at the lows of the city and how that effects the population. When I think of community service, I think of the place of where I grew up, where "outsiders" would hardly come in help out. That's not what I want from our program. I want us to be involved to the point where we aren't considered "outsiders" and are viewed as members of the community in which we learn and compete.
We have been involved in a few "community" service opportunities, Detroit Marathon, since I've been employed, but nothing that I feel I could really put our stamp on.
Last month during a staff meeting Coach LeRon Williams informed us about an organization, All Hands. All Hands is a disaster relief organization that arranges for volunteers to make an impact on communities hurt by natural disasters. In August of 2014 there was a flood in the Detroit area that affected hundreds of families. Combined with the economic distress of the city and the people of the city, Detroit was/is in need of some help.
Instead of practice, on Friday, November 20, 2015, members of the men's and women's cross country team and women's track and field team, drove to the Detroit home base of All Hands to get trained and then taken to different homes across Detroit. The job was simple, repair (remove mold and mildew) from the homes most impacted so that the health hazard of the occupants can be minimized.
It was a very humbling and rewarding opportunity that we will do again in January. For now Enjoy some of the pics:
No comments:
Post a Comment